Masonry 3 Columns
Fixie american apparel tofu, whatever retro seitan tattooed viral raw denim chambray keffiyeh organic high life. Mlkshk cosby sweater high life, master cleanse biodiesel marfa fixie four loko gluten-free keffiyeh chambray american apparel cred.
Synthax Audio, one of the UK's most respected pro-audio specialists, have posted an article about my recording of last year's London Children's Ballet production of The Canterville Ghost. It was the lead story of their New Year newsletter, and can be read here.
I'm a member of an exclusive panel of "top producers, engineers, FOH guys and artists" who blind-listen to various iterations of microphones in development for innovative UK mic manufacturerAston, as a vital part of their R&D process.
Following this process, Aston have released a new multi-voicing mic, Stealth.
Aston Microphones has introduced a sleek new model: the Aston Stealth. This handsome unit is packed with features, including four switchable voices and a first-of-its kind autodetect function that senses phantom power.
The Stealth is a cardioid, broadcast-quality microphone that’s stage- and studio-ready. Aston is billing it as “the world’s most versatile microphone”, due in no small part to its many features:
Developed by a panel of more than 90 audio engineers, the Stealth has four settings optimised for various functions:
- V1 (Vocal): Best suited for male performers
- V2 (Vocal): Best suited for female performers
- G (Guitar): For all types of guitars
- D (Dark): For a vintage feel, reminiscent of ribbon mics
The four signal paths of these voices are contour networks, not EQ filters. So most of the signal does not even pass through any filter circuitry. This stands in contrast to other mics that add pre-EQ to the signal, making professional post-production very tricky.
Phantom power autodetect function
The Stealth functions with or without phantom power. While in passive mode, the signal bypasses the active circuit to deliver a clean sound. However, the Stealth has a unique feature that, upon sensing 48-volt phantom power, automatically toggles over to the active mode to make use of the onboard preamp.
Class A mic preamp
When in active mode, the Stealth engages its built-in Class A mic preamp. Most active microphones use a single-ended preamp – it takes half of the wave from the capsule and keeps the other half grounded – but not the Stealth. This microphone amplifies both halves of the wave from capsule to output, delivering a better signal-to-noise performance.
More information at astonmics.com
a nice end-of-year project: mastering "The Glass Bead Game" for vinyl at Baker Street.
Originally released on vinyl in 1986, The Glass Bead Game was Breathless's first album. The original masters were unavailable, so I used the subsequent CD master as the basis for this release. I judged that the audio was slightly harsh and unsympathetic, so the whole album has been re-balanced and sounds great.
The new version will be available on Tenor Vossa Records in the next couple of months.
Congratulations to Larz Kristerz, whose album "Get Gå Bra Nu" has just been nominated for a Swedish Grammy.
The album was recorded in Sweden during January and February, and mixed by me in the UK in March of this year.
Thanks to Sulo Karlsson for involving me in the project.
- Overture Band
- Imaginary Tom Price, Josh Gottlieb, Haroun Al Jeddal & Full Company
- The Last Day Of Summer Jade Oswald & Josh Gottlieb
- The Best Chloe Twigg, Arran Ryder, Haroun Al Jeddal, Rhiannon Bailey, Luke Hogan, Bill Stanley, Dominic Bryant, Zoe Troy & Isabella Li-Yan-Hui
- Upgrade Time Robin Franklin, Elsa Waterfield, Billy Nevers, Ella Thomas, Ciaran O'Brien & Full Company
- The Headmaster’s Office Full Company
- She Played Guitar Lizzie Wells & Robin Simoes Da Silva
- The Adventurers’ Code Josh Gottlieb & Lizzie Wells
- It’s Your Time Toby Turpin & Aya Benyahya, Sadie Hurst, Phoebe Poulter-Kerry
- Entr’acte/ Imaginary Land Toby Turpin & Full Company
- Those Were The Days Billy Nevers, Elsa Waterfield, Ella Thomas & Ciaran O'Brien
- All The Fun You Had Oliver Adams, Jade Oswald, Tom Price & Josh Gottlieb
- The Headmaster’s Soliloquy Robin Franklin, Ben Pulford, Freya Alexander & Company
- Oogie Boogie Woogie Oliver Adams, Toby Turpin & Full Company
- The Final Upgrade Robin Franklin, Elsa Waterfield, Josh Gottlieb, Tom Price & Toby Turpin
- You’ll Find Me There Tom Price, Josh Gottlieb, Lizzie Wells & Full Company
- Playout Band